S&C’s PureWave DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator is a fast-compensating reactive power source that’s applied on the transmission or distribution system to reduce voltage variations such as sags, surges, and flicker, along with instability caused by rapidly varying reactive power demand. PureWave DSTATCOM can also help provide quick recovery for the transmission system after contingency events such as loss of part of the system or individual equipment.
PureWave DSTATCOM is well suited to a major goal of the Smart Grid: Integration of renewable energy sources, such as wind, concentrated solar, and tidal power generation. It allows these renewable energy sources to meet utility interconnection requirements, as well as the power factor, voltage output, and low-voltage ride-through requirements of various worldwide grid codes.
PureWave DSTATCOM has been applied on a number of utility systems and wind farms since the late 1990s, meeting or exceeding all specifications.
- Ultra-fast response time: 3 to 6 milliseconds. Provides faster voltage (or VAR, or power factor) control to enhance system voltage stability.
- Substantial short-time capability for contingency events. Each inverter section can provide up to 3.3 MVAR for 3 seconds.
- Modular design provides redundancy. Each 1.25-MVAR inverter has its own independent controls and circuit breakers, maximizing system reliability and availability. Individual inverters can be maintained while the remainder of the system is in operation. Inverters are air-cooled — not water-cooled — eliminating maintenance, enhancing reliability.
- Packaged in compact ISO-style container. Minimizes need for valuable substation space. Up to four containers can be paralleled for a total system output of ±40 MVAR.
- Includes climate-controlled control room with air-conditioning, if required. Weatherproof maintenance aisle enhances reliability and serviceability.
- Flexible system sizing with control of external devices. Up to six externally switched capacitor or reactor banks can be controlled by PureWave DSTATCOM
- Fully factory-tested for quick installation and commissioning.
The PureWave DSTATCOM Distributed Static Compensator utilizes ±1.25 MVA / 3.3 MVAR PWM Inverters in a modular arrangement.
|System Voltage Continuous Output||480 V to 35 kV, 50 or 60 Hz♣|
|Short-Term Current Rating||264% for 2 seconds, ramping to 100% at 4 seconds; or
264% for seconds, stepping directly to 100%
|Reactive Current Response Time||2 to 4 milliseconds|
|Inverter||IGBT, pulse-width modulated at 4860 Hz|
|Temperature Range||-40° to +50° C|
|Cooling||Ambient air cooling|
♣ Single transformation to 46kV.
|Number of Containers||Dimensions, Feet (Meters)||Weight,
|5.0||1||40 (12.2)||8.0 (2.4)||9.5 (2.9)||36,000 (16,364)|
|7.5||1||45 (13.7)||8.0 (2.4)||9.5 (2.9)||48,000 (21,818)|
|10.0||Container 1: Lead, 10 MVAR
Container 2: Control
|15.0||Container 1: Lead and Controls, 7.5 MVAR
Container 2: Auxiliary, 7.5 MVAR